October 22, 2017

Gran Turismo Sport

Date played: October 21st
Platform: PS4

I played a few races in GT Sport mode, even though the daily events still haven't changed... I did a few Suzuka races in a Skyline (ahem, sorry, a GT-R) and did pretty good, but nothing incredible. I tend to place in the top 10 in most races at least, so that's pretty good in a field of 24 racers.

I then went back the familiar but fun Civic race at Brands Hatch. This time, I got a legitimate victory, though I accidentally pushed my main opponent off track. I started the race in 6th place, pretty respectable. My driver rating has been going up, which means better opponents and fewer mistakes on the field. It also means that qualifying times matter more than ever, since it's hard to pass others.

I fought hard through the pack and it quickly became apparent that I only had one real competitor in this race. The guy in first place, of course. Through the 4 laps, I followed my line and drove safely and made my way to 2nd place. In the 3rd lap, I knew I had to do something if I was going to get a chance at winning, but I was still too far from 1st place.

I pushed hard throughout the lap and caught up with him. He was good, but not too good that I couldn't catch up slowly. I then made a move at a chicane that I knew I was able to take faster than him, passing on the inside. However, he was a little faster than I expected and ended up rubbing paint with him. Unfortunately, I was going at a speed that didn't allow for much room on the outside, I thought I would have already passed him by then... He flew off the track because of me and ended up in 5th place...
Victory at Brands Hatch!

I felt bad, but it was a racing incident. I was following my line, he came in from behind me on the outside, so he should have slowed down. My daughter was watching when I passed him, and we both got up, cheered and screamed about victory as I crossed the line in glory!

We then took a few minutes to try out the 2 player split screen mode, a rare feature in today's racing games unfortunately. It works surprisingly well, keeping a solid framerate and offering a good view of the race. My daughter and I both picked a Go-Kart, to make it as easy as possible for her. I also turned on most assists for her. I then picked the small oval track and we did a 10 lap race!

She was a lot better than I was expecting. The kart is a lot of fun to drive and it doesn't spin out, plus, all the assists were very helpful. This made it so I could (almost) have a real race with my 7 year old child! We both had a great time, laughing at each other and just having fun. In the last lap, I noticed she had gotten the hang of it, so I encouraged her to do a fast lap without touching walls, and I raced her at pretty high speed, following right behind her. She did amazingly well and didn't hit a single wall, even followed the racing line most of the time!

Of course, she doesn't know how to use the brakes yet, so we have a lot to learn, but I think this was a great first step in playing racing games for her! She seems to enjoy them quite a bit for some reason.