October 14, 2017

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Date played: October 14th
Platform: Switch

Man, the final world isn't fucking around... I played through one chapter, 4-3, with my daughter this afternoon. The two levels were very difficult, and required some creative thinking to solve. The first battle had me kill 9 enemies. While that doesn't sound difficult on it's own, the problem was that the enemies would constantly spawn. We're talking 4-6 bad guys every turn here...

This would have been ok if they were easy to kill. Unfortunately, these were the most resistant enemies yet. Big, fiery Rabbids that carry big objects on their backs. They don't have any ranged attacks, so that gave me a bit of breathing room, but one wrong move meant instant death for each character here. Luigi died rather early on, because I didn't move him with the rest of the team. Rabbid Yoshi and Mario fought bravely to the end, using every trick in the bag to survive and get the remaining kills.

This left my team decimated for the next battle. I had to just reach the end of the level, which was a big straight line guarded by 4 powerful shotgunners and two teleporting assholes. Better yet, new enemies spawned at the beginning of the level after a couple of turns. My first attempt was pretty good, considering Luigi had 10 health at the start of the battle, and Mario had 80. Still, I was too weak to make it to the end and got a Game Over.
Peach is tough, powerful and has a decent healing ability, but she's hard to use in some situations

I decided to change up my team slightly for this battle. I took Peach, because she's a tough, front line fighter, and she can heal slightly. Her and Rabbid Yoshi too the front lines, while Mario stayed back, being healed slowly by Peach. Peach's shotgun is really powerful, but also, it's hard to use in some situations, since it destroys cover and can hit friendly units. Still, my strategy worked and I made it to the next chapter.