October 16, 2017

Metroid Samus Returns

Date played: October 15th
Platform: 3DS

Samus Returns keeps getting better, and that's kind of too bad, because I'm getting near the end... I don't want this amazing game to end. Thankfully, I plan on backtracking through each area soon, even though I don't have all the abilities yet, so that should extend the game quite a bit.

Area 5 was full of dangers, but it also had a few new powers for me to play with. First up was the Gravity Suit, which allows me to move freely in water. This eliminates many barriers in Area 5, allowing for new places to explore and new secrets to uncover. Second, I got the amazing Screw Attack! This thing was always one of my favorite abilities in Metroid games. This version is powerful, killing most regular enemies in one or two hits. It can destroy some new types of walls too, so that's great.

These new abilities came in handy when I fought against a few metroids. One of them was just a regular fight, but the other introduced an even bigger type of metroid! It turns out, I misnamed one of these friendly little bastards in my last post. It seems I already fought a Zeta Metroid, but not an Omega. I met an Omega yesterday and it was a much bigger challenge.
Omega Metroid are incredibly fun to fight!

Omega Metroid have new attacks, including a treacherous slow-moving beam attacks. It also has some armor of sorts to protect it's weak point. I used my Plasma Beam to damage it while dodging it's attacks. Eventually, this would break the armor, which I then attacked with Super Missiles and Ice Beam. It took forever, and I even ran out of Super Missiles, but after a few tries, I killed the big fucker.

Area 6 is quite large, but it only has a few Metroids left, most of which will be huge I'm sure. The area is filled with life that swarms in the beautiful backgrounds. It has lots of dark greens and feels very dangerous. I faced the giant machine boss finally, as it snatched away a new upgrade, but while I was fighting him, my 3DS battery ran low and I put the game down. I'm gonna beat that hulking piece of machinery next time!