October 16, 2017

Cuphead

Date played: October 15th
Platform: Xbox One

Well, Cuphead is one hell of a fucking tough game folks.

I mean, I'm not an amazing gamer by any means. I see kids half my age running circles around me in FPS games and stuff, but fuck, I'm not that bad either! Still, Cuphead kicks my fucking ass to the ground and then it keeps kicking me. I must be suffering from Stockholm Syndrome then, because I just love the game so much!

It's truly brutal though. I must have played for more than 2 hours last night and managed to kill 3 bosses, cleared 1 scrolling level and 1 mausoleum. The scrolling level wasn't too bad, and the mausoleum was easy, but all three bosses were very difficult.

Up first was Baroness Von Bon Bon. This crazy lady is obsessed with everything sugar! Her first three phases each feature a random candy minion. There's a crazed gumball machine, a splattering pie, a Pac-Man inspired everlasting gobstopper, an angry flying candy corn and a yummy looking flying waffle. Most of these battles are really hard on their own, and learning each one was pretty difficult.
Baroness Von Bon Bon
None of them compared to the Von Bon Bon lady herself though. She started chasing me from atop her giant castle made of cake! The level scrolled as I tried to shoot her as often as I could from the single floating platform above me. What made this part really hard was the main attack used by the baroness. She threw her detached head at me, which then lunged at me from the air every few hundreds of a second. These attacks were very difficult to dodge. To add to the difficulty, a giant rolling piece of mint candy rolled towards me every few seconds, adding more stuff to dodge. It was hard, and it took forever, but I took the bitch down.

The next boss was a plane level, this time set around a pyramid. The beautiful rotating background filled the screen with flair as I fought a gigantic genie in a bottle named Djimmi the Great (wow, that name...) ! This was another difficult battle, with many phases, but it was probably the easiest of the three bosses I beat yesterday. There was a lot of shit to dodge, but mostly, I just made steady progress with each attempt. Only the first phase really gave me trouble, when the genie would spit out a ton of random objects at me. His final form wasn't too hard, but it was one of the most wonderfully animated in the game.

Finally, I took on Beppi the Clown. This amusement park clown is a real pain in the ass, but lots of fun to fight. His first phase is easy, but hilarious, as the evil clown charges at me from a bumper car. The second phase was trickier, because now, there's roller-coaster train that periodically appears on screen. It even has fucking spikes on it so that it's hard to dodge... Plus, there's bad guys inside, and the clown is blowing himself up with helium, dangerous attack dog balloons are coming my way, shit goes crazy all over.

Another phase features our friend the clown riding on a pair of horses, both of which have different projectile attacks. Paired with the constant roller-coaster attacks, these guys were hard to fight.

Then there's the final phase, as Beppi morphs into a merry-go-round, as the roller-coaster keeps rolling below. He then throws out rolling baseball throwing penguins to the ground. It's critical to take these guys out first because their stray baseballs are very dangerous. After a few tries, I killed the damn clown.

I got my ass kicked in the second platforming levels when I encountered some deadly brass instruments. I haven't figured out a good way to beat these yet and was tired, so I stopped playing and will try another day.