October 23, 2017

Metroid Samus Returns

Date played: October 22nd
Platform: 3DS

I played a good chunk of Samus Returns throughout the day, jumping in a few minutes at a time. When I last played, I had lost battery power during the robot boss, so I picked up where I left off. This was easily the hardest battle in the game yet, even more difficult than the Omega metroid, mainly because it was a long battle with many different phases to learn with a small margin of error.
This robot boss was amazing!
Each phase has it's difficulties and patterns to learn, which means that I died a lot here. The whole battle takes place in a small room, with the boss attacking from the background. In the first phase, the boss attacks with it's two giant drilling arms, forcing Samus to do some quick, precise jumps to avoid it's attacks. He would then push his head out and attack me with some rotating lasers. I had to damage the head with my strongest attacks while avoiding the lasers. Once he took enough damage, he would stomp his two drilling arms into the ground.

I then had to go into morph ball mode and wait for the mechanical rotors to be aligned to climb into the arm and drop a bomb. The first of the two arms is really easy, but the second one's timing is really tricky. Hitting the arm by accident takes off a huge chunk of health too...

Once he's lost both arms, the boss amps up the difficulty by taking out some more challenging lasers. He has a number of new attacks, including a vacuum thing that pulls Samus into it's jagged jaws and deals gigantic damage. The trick was to drop bombs near the vacuum, which the boss would then absorb, then take damage from them.

Finally, the boss would pop out it's head and electrify itself at intervals. There are three weak points in this mode, but they are only susceptible to bombs. I had to grab onto the head with the spider ball, then drop bombs on the weak spots without getting electrocuted. The boss was challenging and fun. It required many attempts, each time improving my technique and progressing a little bit more.

My reward was the incredible power bomb. This thing has very limited ammo, but it clears and entire screen... I was ready for Area 7. The new area is filled with technological relics of an ancient past and is very deep below SR-388's surface. After exploring for a while, I fought two Omega metroids, leaving only 2 left to kill on the entire planet, at least according to the counter on screen. The power bomb makes these battles a lot easier, as they immediately destroy the shield that protects the weak point.

Before progressing forward, I decided to back track, since I now have most abilities (maybe I have them all?). There's a thing with the power bomb that I don't quite understand yet, but I think I can launch myself horizontally through spiked sectors of the map. I have to test this out a bit more. I cleared most of the surface, Area 1 and Area 2, though a few secrets still escape me.