October 23, 2017

Gran Turismo Sport

Date played: October 22nd
Platform: PS4

The daily races have changed! One of them is a Mitsubishi Lancer only race, another is GR.3 and the last is Gr.4. I spent some time setting some "bad but better than nothing" qualifying times for each track, then tried out the Gr.4, taking out my recently won Audi TT race car.
I love my Gr.4 Audi TT!
My qualifying time wasn't great, but good enough for 5th out of 11 racers. I picked up a big penalty on the second turn because the guy in front braked sooner than I expected... He was ok, but I picked up 10 seconds of penalty, so I slowed down and dropped to 8th place right away. I quickly climbed all the way to 4th, leaving the others in my dust with a good driving line.

I battled for 3rd and 2nd against a Dodge Viper and a Peugeot concept car. We were all very clean racers, accepting defeat when outplayed and being courteous when passing others. This is when Gran Turismo Sport is at it's very best. I managed to get 2nd place by a few tenths of a second, and it felt incredible.

Unfortunately, I saw the bad side of the game's penalty system in my next race. Still in the Audi, I started the race in 5th out of 10 racers. I would have had 2nd place, but in the last corner, the guy behind me rammed into me at high speeds. I controlled the skip and was still in front of him after the hit. I thought I was ok! I was horrified to see a 10 second penalty applied to me, giving me a disappointing 5th place.

That shit is fucked up, and shouldn't have happened. I was going fast, following the racing line. I was expecting him to be penalized while I kept going, but the game's code didn't think the same way. I still had an incredible time with the game, thankfully!