October 14, 2017

Final Fantasy VII

Date played: October 14th
Platform: PS4

I didn't play for very long, just long enough to explore Corel and the surrounding area. I also got my first glimpse of the Gold Saucer, but didn't have time to see much of it. Corel is an old coal mining town. It's also Barett's hometown, and there's some history there.

Years ago, Barett helped convince the village to sell the mines to Shinra so that they could replace it with a Mako reactor. It seemed like the smartest thing to do at the time, but his friend Dyne disagreed. Barett ended up winning the argument though. Years later, Shinra came to burn the village down to a crisp, now that it had built it's reactor... The citizens now live in the ruins of the old town, holding a grudge against Barett and Shinra.

I explored the area outside the town, in the world map, but found nowhere to go. I think I need a vehicle of some sort to cross a desert and some rivers. The only place left for me to go is the Gold Saucer, the giant, fun-filled amusement park in the sky, high above Mount Corel.
The world famous Gold Saucer amusement park

This place was always a highlight of the game. At every corner, a new attraction can be found, including some chocobo racing! I didn't get a chance to really do anything, but I can't wait to play this part of the game.