October 2, 2017

Watch Dogs 2

Date played: October 1st
Platform: PS4

I played a ton of Watch Dogs 2 yesterday... I was focused on the main missions and made lots of progress. The game goes to some real crazy places that I just wasn't expecting. Seriously, I thought I had seen most of what the game has to offer, then three great missions in a row prove me wrong.

The first thing I did was kind of the usual, since I completed one of the side mission stories, focused on the Tezcas gang. Things got really interesting when I was approached by Ray for a massive, once in a lifetime kind of mission. We were going to hack into an aerospace company to place a motherboard on a Blume satellite that was due to launch soon. Apparently, all the big companies and states had agreed to use Blume's new satellite network to bypass the submarine communications cables used to breathe life into the internet around the globe.

DedSec sees this as a threat to personal privacy, so we hack into one of them to take them down from the inside. The mission itself was great, with lots of armored enemies to take down quietly. A direct firefight here would have been instant death. However, the next part of the mission was even better! We waited a few days until it was time for the satellite to launch, then I was able to hack directly into the orbiting satellite and hack data centers around the world.

To be blunt, they made Marcus a space hacker. You heard me. A SPACE HACKER.
Space hacking

The events of the last mission opened up a number of new main missions. Essentially, each member of DedSec has a target, each corresponding to a series of missions. I chose to start with Wrench's part of the story, since he's my favorite side character. He and Ray cooperate (after a few verbal battles...) to send a robot into the headquarters of a robotics company. These guys are building war machines under the pretense of "safer infantry combat". Of course, we had to take them down.

At the end of another great mission filled with the usual shenanigans, I was surprised to find a massive robotic spider waiting for me. Thankfully, it wasn't activated, so I was safe. Suddenly, Josh finds a way to hack into the spider robot of death and gives me control!

Holy shit, this sequence was fucking crazy! The spider is as big as a minivan, is armed with a deadly machine gun, can stomp enemies savagely with her 8 legs and can jump pretty damn high. Best of all, she can crawl on walls and ceilings seamlessly! I got to kill dozens of bad guys with this fucking thing, and it was great. Even the objectives were fun, as I had to use my newfound love of wall crawling to good use. There might not be much of Watch Dogs 2 left, but if it's as good as these last few missions, I'm in for a treat!