October 4, 2017

Metroid Samus Returns

Date played: October 3rd
Platform: 3DS

I just can't get enough of this game! I made good progress last night, making my way to Area 5. Area 4 was full of surprises and new challenges, as well as a few new abilities. This area had two gates, one of which required a single metroid to activate, the other requiring 3.

The area is filled with secrets, as usual, and while I have a lot of abilities, there's still a good number that are blocking me from accessing many of them. I picked up the Space Jump and the Super Missiles, two major abilities. The Space Jump is basically an infinite jump. It does require some space to use accurately, so it has it's limits, but this thing allows me to navigate to brand new areas and move swiftly during combat.

The Super Missiles, on the other hand, are more battle focused. While they do allow me to access new areas, their biggest contribution is during combat. These use their own ammo pool and so far, I've been limited to 8 of them. They pack a fucking punch though. Against metroids, they decimate their health much faster than regular missiles.

Area 4 features a couple of big moments. When I first entered the area, I was confronted by the big, red-eyed robot from before. This time, I had to escape it's gigantic drilling arms by speeding through a few challenging obstacle courses. I died a few times here, because the timing was pretty tight on some of the segments. It looked fantastic and was really exciting. I managed to find a quiet hiding spot and the machine moved away.

The other moment was the glorious introduction of the Omega Metroid. This third evolution of metroid is by far the most challenging yet. A single hit from one of their projectiles can take off more than two full energy tanks, so getting hit is very costly. They can't fly, like their predecessors, but they are much bigger, can crawl on walls and ceilings, fire fast projectiles and can even shoot flames from their mouths.
The Omega Metroid

I didn't know the trick to beating them at first, but I fought bravely, almost killing it on the first attempt. It is vulnerable to ice, but the real damage comes from countering it's attacks and firing back some super missiles at point blank. I should point out that the graphics and animation here are way above anything I've ever seen on 3DS. It just looks fantastic. The 3D effect adds a lot to the visuals too.

So anyway, the real trick to killing these guys is that they have a vulnerable grapple spot on their backs when hanging from the ceiling. I can grapple onto it, then pull the monster down to hurt it and get some supplies. It also opens up a short window to damage the metroid. I loved this battle and I hope there's plenty more like it waiting for me in Area 5.