October 28, 2017

Gran Turismo Sport

Date played: October 25th and 27th
Platform: PS4

My schedule has been really busy lately, so I haven't had much time to play, but I managed to squeeze in 3 races in the last 3 days. I actually spent a good amount of time in qualifying, trying to improve my times on all the current Sport events. My favorite of these was running laps around the Nurburgring GP track, a world famous favorite. I was driving the AMG Mercedes SLS, one of the most iconic performance cars of the last decade. This thing is very powerful and lots of fun to drive. It was a good fit for the track too...
Yes, this is a screenshot of my AMG Mercedes SLS. Yes, Gran Turismo Sport is a technical marvel.

By far, the best race of the last few days was in a Mazda Atenza event on a very simple track, almost an oval. This meant that the only way to gain position is taking a good racing line, avoid contact and most importantly, drafting.

Drafting is a technique where you cut wind resistance by driving behind another car. This means that the car in front creates sort of a tunnel behind them where wind resistance is reduced. This actually makes a huge difference, particularly at very high speeds, going in a straight line. I started in 7th place out of 11, so I wasn't too optimistic about my chances...

I fought hard though. I kept a clean line, I didn't let go of the gas unless I absolutely had to, I drafted at every opportunity and I avoided contact with other cars at all costs. Most of the racers were very respectful and understood that contact meant losing some positions, so it was a really tight race the whole time. I managed to move up to 3rd pretty quickly thanks to good driving, but then it became a lot harder to pass.

Behind me was another guy who was really good and he managed to pass me once, leaving me in 4th. I held him off by sticking to my racing line, which allowed me to stop him from cutting me off. I fought with him a long time, while the other two guys in front fought each other. I lost the battle though and was stuck in 4th, thinking this was my fate until the end of the race.
I fight for 3rd place
But then at the very last corner, luck smiled at me. The guy in 3rd was too fast and ran into the wall. The 1st and 2nd place bumped each other slightly, losing some speed but still keeping position. However, I had the best driving line of them all, which gave me a bit more speed than the others. I caught up to them and took the inside on the straight.

These last 10 seconds were some of the most exciting seconds I've had in a racing game! I managed to win the race by an astonishing 0.023 seconds. Yes, 23 milliseconds separated me from 2nd place. 3rd place was really close too, not even half a second behind... It was so exciting to win this one, I literally jumped off my couch, pumped my fist a few times, yelling "YES! FUCK YEAH BABY!".
This is what winning by 23 milliseconds looks like
I like this game.