April 27, 2015

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Date played: April 26th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

Wolfenstein is a lot of fun...

I played quite a bit of it yesterday and found that the brief interludes at the headquarters are really refreshing and break up the Nazi killing routine quite well. There was a whole subplot about the way the Nazis have been using a new type of concrete to build stuff. I forget the details, but it led B.J. Blazkowicz to a concentration camp to help a veteran escape. This man is supposed to be a genius of sorts that has all sorts of technological secrets... or something.

To escape, I infiltrated an administrative building and silently killed a dozen Nazis with my trusty knives. I deactivated the automated defense systems and moved on to a different part of the camp to find a special battery. This would let my veteran friend control one of the large bipedal mechs wandering the camp. However, as I grabbed the battery, I was captured by the guards!

This bitch ain't got no jaw left!
In a great scene, BJ and the veteran are tied to posts about to be executed for their treachery. A crazy Nazi commander woman and her henchman were blabbering on, when BJ threw the battery to the veteran, who then proceeded to snap off the woman's jaw by controlling a nearby robot. Freed, we hopped onto the robot, shot a ton of Nazis with missiles and a minigun, then freed most of the refugees, then drove away on a bus.

The veteran and refugees joined our headquarters. The vet gave us some interesting info which meant that the next mission was to steal a U boat from the Nazis. I used a weird little diving device with a motor and an oxygen supply to make my way through some catacombs. It was pretty cool...