April 6, 2015

Code Name S.T.E.A.M.

Date played: April 5th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 8/10

I finished Code Name S.T.E.A.M.!

The final battle was pretty awesome, but very difficult. I fought a giant star shaped creature in a simple, open room. The only cover was a set of 4 pillars around the room. Naturally, I split my team around each of the pillars. If caught in the open, the boss could easily kill my characters in one turn, so I had to chip away at it from a distance. A single misstep would often mean one of my characters died and every single time, that meant failure. I wiped out at least 4 times before I had a real decent run.

On top of the formidable boss, I had to deal with dangerous, smaller enemies spawning at regular intervals. After about an hour of careful, methodical and meticulous movement, I finally took it out. There was a quick A.B.E. battle after that against the big alien boss thing, but it was over in less than 2 minutes. Abe Lincoln heroically sacrificed himself to save the Earth from being frozen and the world is back to normal.
Henry and John salute their fallen leader and celebrate victory
This game was pretty good and had some really fun moments, but overall, I felt like it was a bit...uneven. Maybe if there had been better aiming, it would have been better. Also, having some sort of map would have been nice. Finally, I think the game would have benefited from some character specific upgrades through leveling or something. I'm glad I played it, but I won't be playing it again.