April 21, 2015

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Date played: April 20th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

My brother lent me Wolfenstein: The New Order on PS4 and told me he enjoyed it a lot, so I popped it in and gave it a try. Wolfenstein 3D was the first FPS I played when I was around 12 years old and loved it. The 1992 game was a real pioneer of video games, it established what a first person shooter game is...

More than 20 years later, I am playing Wolfenstein again and I like it a lot. The game beings with the hero, B.J. Blazkowicz, riding an attack plane into Nazi territory in 1946. In this alternate history, the war isn't over yet and the Nazis have continued their experiments, creating new weapons of war. As I went through tutorials, I put out a fire in the plane then went on to shoot down Nazi planes with the plane's turrets. In a thrilling sequence, the plane crashed.

There was a whole sequence in the trenches. Wolfenstein played pretty much exactly like I expected at that point. Go through trenches, shoot nazis, repeat. It feels nice too, the controls are tight and the game looks pretty good graphically, though not spectacular. After a lot shooting and killing, I found myself stuck in an incinerator room with my squad mates.

That's where I met the game's main antagonist, Deathshead. This evil Nazi scientist locked us in a room with a giant cyborg man. I shot his face off with the assault rifle, but was soon captured by the bad guy. He forced Blazkowicz to chose which of his buddies would die... I was left in the same incinerator room with the guy I chose to save and we escaped through the window. A piece of shrapnel got stuck in Blazkowicz's skull, prompting the game's title screen.

The game is completely ridiculous, yet I still care about the characters and the story. The big twist is that the hero ends up in a coma for 14 years. There was a whole big scene about the coma that showed how a father, his wife and his daughter took care of him over the years. One day, the Nazis come in and decided to close the hospital and killed the father and wife when they fought back. Abruptly, this prompted Blazkowicz to finally wake from his coma and stab his attacker in the neck.
Blazkowicz doesn't take shit from no one!
I shot my way through the hospital and saved the daughter, then we escaped in a jeep to her grand-parents house. So... it turns out, the Nazis won the war. The American's surrendered. There is no resistance. The world is run by Nazis...

There are some really cool things about the gameplay in this game too... One of the coolest is that special perks can be obtained by completing bonus objectives. For example, by getting 15 pistol kills from cover, I got bigger magazines for that weapon. There is dual wielding of even larger weapons like assault rifles. There are fun stealth mechanics, including a throwing knife. There are secrets doors that lead to real bonuses like silencers and such. It's a really surprising game so far. It's dumb and stupid, but it's also really fun and well made. I like it.