April 24, 2015

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Date played: April 23rd
Platform: Wii
Session fun rating: 8/10

My daughter has been asking to play Zelda every day since we last played it, she really wanted to see what was inside the big cyclone in the sky. I found a special shrine there and solved a little puzzle to build a bridge. Inside the shrine I learned a new song that could help me find the sacred flame in Farore Woods. It was also revealed that I must complete 3 trials to find the sacred flames.

The first trial
In Farore Woods, I completed the first trial. I used my sword's dousing ability to find the spot where I could play my new song on the harp. The objective of the trial is to gather about 15 tears that are scattered around the main forest area. The twist is that there are enemies that chase Link the whole time and can kill him n one hit, forcing a restart of the trial. When a tear is collected, the enemies freeze in place for 90 seconds, giving me time to find the next one. There are also special items scattered that make the tears easier to find by placing a marker above them.

The first time I tried the trial, I failed because I couldn't find the last tear. I managed to escape the enemies for a solid 2 minutes, but eventually, they caught up. The second time around, it was much easier and I got all the tears easily. My reward was an important item, the Water Dragon's Scale, which allows Link to swim underwater, opening up many new paths. I must now venture into the large tree in the forest by swimming under it. I hope it will reward me with my first sacred flame!