April 4, 2015

Sunset Overdrive: Dawn of the Rise of the Fallen Machines

Date played: April 3rd
Platform: Xbox One
Session fun rating: 9/10

The final piece of DLC for Sunset Overdrive is out with a ridiculous title, Dawn of the Rise of the Fallen Machines. The plot is paper thin. As far as I can tell, the only real objective is to destroy the Fizzco robot factory.

To get past the invisible walls protecting the factory, I found a drone and hitched a ride on top of it's cargo. I had to protect the thing from OD and Scab attacks the whole way. I made it safely to the robot factory, a large, high tech open area, filled with floating platforms, assembly chains and other machinery. As is my habit, I started with some challenge missions, most of which weren't that difficult. I managed gold on all available missions before moving on to the story stuff.

I found a man and a woman held prisoner inside a garage. The man bashed the shit out the robot that held him captive, complete with dramatic slow motion, a baseball bat, grungy guitar and aviator sun glasses... After calming down, the duo gave me some missions. The writing is as funny as ever too, they even made a joke about how difficult it is to launch a new intellectual property in video games.

Most of the missions were pretty standard fare so far; get to a position, defeat enemies, grab item. There were a few cool missions in there though. I got to use 2 new weapons. The first shoots out a deployable nanobot cloud that munches away at enemies. It works well... The second is an amazing laser guided satellite energy beam shot down from space! It is extremely powerful, but somewhat difficult to aim.

The robot dog made a comeback too. I used the powerful puppy to take out some of the new enemies, including some dangerous sniper robots and some massive, bipedal tank enemies. I've also swapped out some weapons to focus on the ones that are effective against robots. The Fizzco Rifle is my main weapon, though I also use the Fizzco Beam and anything that adds electricity to my attacks.

Killing enemies with the energy ball is a lot of fun!
Then I played a really cool mission where I got to ride and "energy ball". I rolled around the factory, destroying enemies by rolling into them or smashing them from above. This was a really cool change of pace and forced me to find new ways to fight enemies. After this mission, it unlocked 3 energy ball traversal challenges... I managed gold on the first one, but I just couldn't get better than silver on the second. It was pretty frustrating, I was less than 1 second away from gold, but I just can't get it. I bet it's because of the path I am using during one particular section of the course, but for the first time in Sunset Overdrive, I gave up on getting gold in a challenge.