April 12, 2015

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Date played: April 11th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 8/10

I played 3 levels, including the boss of the second mansion. I first chased after the friendly ghost dog who had stolen the key. Using the spectral light unit, I found it's paw prints and chased him around the level until I was able to stun him and capture him in the vacuum. Oddly enough, when I got back to the professor, the dog managed to escape, though we go the key. Using the key, Luigi went to the top of the mansion inside a very large tree.

The staircase boss
I had to climb a HUGE set of staircases. It was split into a large number of levels, each with 3 sets of staircases. I had to figure out which of the 3 was the right one on each level. There were a few hints where torches around the right staircase would flicker or disappear, but it wasn't obvious. When I failed, I had to fight a green ghost and start over. Finally, the boss was a new type of ghost who had possessed a staircase near at the top of the tree. He wasn't very difficult to fight, I just had to avoid it's attacks and pull a string with the vacuum when it was vulnerable. I was rewarded with another piece of the dark moon.

The next mansion is set inside an old clock/watch factory. It has been abandoned for a very long time. There's a bit of a sand theme going on here. I explored the first few sections of the mansion. A few new mechanics were introduced, including some light activated robotic explosives and a room that I filled with sand to progress.