April 22, 2015

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Date played: April 21st
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

I killed a lot of Nazis. A lot. Wolfenstein isn't afraid to throw many enemies at the player, including some really cool ones like two giant assault robots and some armored, shotgun wielding soldiers. It all started when B.J. "interrogated" a prisoner they had taken back to the house. By interrogate, I mean threaten with a chainsaw in a basement of course. BJ got info on where the few resistance prisoners were held.

On the way to the prison, I had to find a way to open the gates for our car. This whole section was pretty cool. Killing Nazis on a rainy night with a silenced pistol and some throwing knives is pretty fucking great. At the end of the level, I fought two giant robots with my dual assault rifles. It was really satisfying!

Giant Nazi robot are no match for B.J. Blazkowicz!
BJ and the nurse managed to sneak onto a Nazi train to reach Berlin and find the prison. The game really does a good job of setting the mood, as ridiculous as it all is, it's still very well presented. After the train ride, I had to infiltrate the prison and liberate some of the resistance fighters. Most of the level focused on stealth, hell, I didn't even have a gun for most of it. After sneaking around for a while, I found a new item, a sort of laser cutter device that I could use to cut through some fences to move around. Eventually, I also found an upgrade for it that let me shoot bursts and use it as a short range weapon.

The Nazis also made robotic "panthers" of sorts. These things are impossible to kill with the weapons I have, so I usually had to flee when they showed up. I made it to the prison cells and liberated the prisoners, including my friend from 14 years ago! We shot our way out of the prison and escaped in a car. I enjoyed using the game's insane dual-wielded, double barreled automatic shotguns...