April 14, 2015

Axiom Verge

Date played: April 14th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

Axiom Verge is a rare kind of video game. It is absolutely excellent. I love every moment I've spent playing this thing. The amazingly creepy music and the fucked up, yet beautiful visuals come together to give this game a real sense of style and a solid atmosphere. There's also the mysterious, intriguing story that is given out in very small chunks. But the glue that holds the entire thing together is the complex, yet easy to handle gameplay. The mechanics keep getting more complicated, but the game never gets overwhelming.

I continued exploring the depths of the world, found some new items, beat a gargantuan boss and even took a little walk outside. The best part was definitely the boss. This thing is gigantic, requiring the camera to zoom out to even see creature fully, not to mention it's dozens of projectiles. The giant slug-like creature attacks Trace with quite a few different weapons. He lobs bombs, shoots multiple, large yellow projectiles and swings a huge beam of death vertically. To top it all off, the floor is fucking lava and there are hidden platforms that can be activated by the glitch gun...
Uruku, one of the most epic battles in recent memory
Honestly, this was one of the coolest looking boss fights ever! At first, I tried damaging it's cannons and artillery units by climbing on top of the platforms to the left of the screen. I made progress, but it was slow and painful, resulting in 3 or 4 deaths rather quickly. That's when I tried experimenting a bit more with the glitch gun and found a few single blocks to glitch that brought me directly below the monster. All I had to do was destroy one of it's bomb lobbers to make it there. From this position, I was able to directly damage the boss without even getting hit once, though I did fall in the lava at one point. The towering beast couldn't even touch me with it's giant guns. I felt pretty fucking clever. Watch how I beat it.

I picked up some cool upgrades too. I can now jump quite a bit higher, got a few health upgrades and even a very useful weapon range upgrade. One of the cooler upgrades was a syringe that Trace was inadvertently injected with that spawned two weird creatures in his back... Those things fire additional projectiles when I am at full health. The other cool upgrade is the lab coat. This thing is fucking awesome as it lets me teleport through walls and objects that are 1 "square" wide. It also makes an awesome sound... Axiom Verge is great!