April 3, 2015

Screamride demo

Date played: April 2nd
Platform: Xbox One
Session fun rating: 8/10

Screamride is a weird game... Set in the future, it's about a large corporation that tries to build the most exciting, scream worthy rides in the world. The game is actually split up into 3 different modes; Screamrider, Demolition Expert and Engineer. In Screamride, the game plays almost like a stunt racing game. Played from the perspective of the riders in the rollercoaster, I controlled boost and the angle of the train to maximize screams without going off the rails. It's a pretty cool concept and is quite exciting. At the end of the track, I even got to crash the train into a building, the objective being to destroy as much of it as I could...
Screamride is fun and exciting... mostly

Demolition Expert was my favorite mode. In it, I got to aim a little cabin that holds a few riders. The objective is to destroy as much as the structure with the cabin. There are triggers in the environment that create enormous explosions and chain reactions. Aiming is pretty hard too because the device spins vertically, kind of like a sling. I had to adjust power and release the device at the right time to hit my target. There is a bit of control once in the air, but not that much.

Finally, Engineer mode asks that I build the most scream worthy ride, without losing riders to g-force or causing too much nausea. While the tools to build things are easy to use, it's difficult to determine what will cause accidents or high nausea without testing it. While testing looks cool, it's also a bit slow. I managed to build a nice coaster, filled with loops, corkscrews and high speed drops, but I didn't have as much fun with it as I did with Demolition and Screamrider modes.

Screamride is a surprisingly cool game. It has a lot of personality too with great narration and fun character animation.