April 5, 2015

Sunset Overdrive: Dawn of the Rise of the Fallen Machines

Date played: April 4th
Platform: Xbox One
Session fun rating: 10/10

Once again, I'm reminded of how much I fucking love Sunset Overdrive! I really can't say it enough, it's easily one of my favorite games of the generation, maybe even my favorite. It's just so much fun to move around and kill enemies in that world. I truly hope they make a sequel, because I've just finished the last of single player missions,

I started by trying the third energy ball traversal challenge, which I got gold on rather quickly. I figured, why not give the second challenge another go, as I failed it the last time I played. Surprisingly, the techniques I used in the third challenge made the second easier and I got it on the first try... I also completed another energy ball challenge, but this time, I had to destroy enemies with it and reach a high score. There were some pretty funny one liner jokes during these challenges referencing both Katamari Damacy and Metroid, games where you get to roll around as a ball.

Finally, I took on the final battle in the game. It started as a battle against a sort of nano-machine cloud of destruction. To damage it, I had to trigger electromagnetic pulses by smashing some switches and stuff. When it worked, it transformed the cloud into a giant spinning sword of death. I kept attacking it with my strongest weapons. When it got near the end of it's life bar, the game broke the fourth wall like it never had before.

I was warped into the game's programming code attacked by "targeted advertising". Large advertising panels flew at me as I shot them with my charge beam. Eventually, my character had the great idea to use the Xbox's Kinect voice controls to stop the attacks... "Xbox, stop!". It was fucking hilarious.

I fight the final boss
After a bit of messing around in the programming world, I managed to get back to the robot factory where I faced off against the final boss. The nano-machine swarm took control of the Sunset TV actor, a real person video... Using a few dozen TV screens as it's armor, the shouting, announcer-controlled machine attacked me with giant lasers! I fought it by shooting at it's TV screens, then attacking the core. I destroyed it and it melted in the lava pits of the robot factory in a dramatic, fiery death.

Sunset Overdrive is fucking genius.