April 12, 2015

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Date played: April 11th
Platform: Wii
Session fun rating: 9/10

I completed the Lanayru Mining Facility dungeon! I navigated through the last couple of rooms in the temple that were rather large and complex. In the first, I had to blow sand away from the floor to reveal a safe path that didn't involve putting large spikes through the green clad hero. In the second, I had to blow on some platforms to move them back and forth to make a path. There was also a new enemy type introduced. It requires that I blow the creature's hatches open with the gust jar, then strike at two crystals inside it.
Zelda gave Link her harp

The boss battle was very cool, though it was a bit too easy for it's own good. Moldarach is a giant scorpion that burrows in sand, grabs Link with it's pincers and stabs it with it's poisonous tail. I struck it's pincers until they fell off. The scorpion then started burrowing in sand to perform surprise attacks. I blew away the sand with the gust jar to reveal it and attack it's final weak point, a central eye.

After I beat the boss, I was able to reach Zelda and her guardian, Impa. Just as Link and Zelda were running towards each other, Ghirahim showed up to spoil the party and attack Zelda. Impa made a shield to stop him as Zelda ran towards a mysterious portal. Dramatically, she threw her harp over to Link, saying he would need it soon. Link helped Impa and held off the bad guy as the two ladies went through the portal and destroyed it.  Ghirahim ran away... Things are unclear right now, but I have to go find the elder at the Sealed Grounds.

I went back to town and got a few new things. I upgraded my wooden shield to the maximum, bought a new pocket for my adventurer's pouch, received a 4th piece of heart (I have 11 hearts now!) and an item that helps me receive more hearts from pots, grass and other sources. Also, Link can play Zelda's harp, though there doesn't seem to be much point just yet. It's cool though, it can be played with the motion controls, which my 4 year old daughter immediately fell in love with. I happily spent a solid 5 minutes just watching her playing the harp...