April 13, 2015

Axiom Verge

Date played: April 12th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I fought my second boss in Axiom, a large two legged creature (device?) with a gigantic machine gun. This whole fight felt a LOT like the battle against Kraid from Super Metroid. I basically had to stand on top of a platform and shoot at the monster's head with my regular gun. Most of the fight was simply about dodging the projectiles by crouching and jumping. He killed me a couple of times as I was learning the timing of his weapons, but it went pretty smoothly after that.

This boss is awesome!
I met with the source of  the mysterious female voice from the opening sequence. She is a robot of sorts, personified as a giant head, connected to dozens of wires and cables. She only had enough power to give me vague instructions to "keep going"... so I did. I reached the third area of the map and started exploring it a little bit. I also went back to some of the previous areas to try out my new gear in a couple of spots.

The first new item I found is a short range electric gun. This acts as a sort of very short range shotgun, but can also shoot through walls and obstacles. While it's short range is definitely limiting, shooting through things is very useful in combat and even to open certain doors. It also came in handy against some of the new enemies I fought.

The second new item is a weird one... It's basically a glitch gun. I can shoot out fairly long range beam of energy that can "glitch" enemies and even reveal new platforms. Shooting the enemies with it has a lot of varying effects. For some, it will freeze them in place, for others, it will turn them into wall destroying projectiles, others it will slow down, etc, etc. It's actually a really cool mechanic. It can weaken most enemies and, since it can be shot through walls, can be used before a battle.

I'm loving everything about Axiom Verge!