April 25, 2015

Metroid Prime

Date played: April 25th
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 8/10

I finally started playing the Metroid Prime trilogy that released on Wii U a while back. I had played the original Metroid Prime a when it first came out, but had never finished it. I never played the second game and I've completed the third just before starting this blog.

Recently, I've played Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and Metroid Other M, but the Prime series is what introduced me to this amazing franchise. My daughter is a big fan of Samus and asked me to play "A game with Samus" this morning. I didn't have much time, but it was enough to make it through the intro of the game and land on Tallon IV.

I explored the space station orbiting Tallon IV and discovered many dead space pirates and few dying ones. There were experiments where creatures were infused with Phazon, a mysterious substance. I fought one of these mutated beasts, but the whole place was really just a big tutorial. After I fought it, a mechanical version of Ridley showed up and destroyed the whole place. Keeping with Metroid tradition, there was a huge escape sequence. I reached space and chased after Ridley to Tallon IV.

I'm starting to notice that my daughter is really into any games that feature a lot of exploration. She doesn't like shooters, racing or sports, but she loves when I can explore. That might be a big part of why she likes Zelda and Metroid so much, but also games like Assassin's Creed and other open world games.