December 22, 2014

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Date played: December 21st
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 8/10

My girlfriend had read an article about this game a while back and had shown an interest. She likes murder stories, detectives and ghosts, so this was a perfect fit. I played the first hour or so as she watched.

The first thing I noticed about this game is how absolutely fucking beautiful it is. It truly is an impressive piece of software. Leaves ruffle in the wind, the sun shines brightly on the forest, the vistas in the distance are breathtaking and everything is highly detailed.

I play as a detective that was hired to investigate the vanishing of Ethan Carter, a young boy that lived with his family in a small rural house. The interaction is limited to movement, running, zooming and a single interaction button. As I walked in the woods on a railroad track, I came across the body of a dead man, but couldn't do much else.

Soon enough, I reached an area with two houses on a hill near a large dam. As I explored the first , deserted house, I started to see some weird shit. In fact, there were portals in some of the doorways that led to other rooms in the house and perhaps another house, it wasn't too clear. After a while, the portals disappeared...

On the left, the mysterious house with portals, on the right, the Carter house
The next house was Ethan's. There were clues about what happened to him. As far as I can make out right now, the child had wakened something the family calls "the sleeper" in the deserted house. It seemed like there was some tension about that between the family members, but much is still unclear.

Later, I explored the woods a bit more and found a small tent that seemed to have been used by Ethan. As I was getting there though, there was some weird paranormal shit going on. My vision was distorted and a woman spoke to me, asking questions. Maybe a ghost? I read a few notes left by Ethan and continued my exploration.

I found a church and it's graveyard. Clearly, some occult stuff was happening here. Crows being drained of their blood, strange blood markings on graves, etc. In one of the tombs, I found one of the family members dead...

There were a few puzzles. I had to put some objects back in their place for example. I also had to pinpoint the location of an event by aiming the camera at the right spot. The detective has his own mysteries too. For example, it seems he can see into the past at certain times by opening a weird portal of sorts. I like the game so far. It doesn't hold my hand and has an interesting story.