December 18, 2014

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare

Date played: December 17th and 18th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

I finished Call of Duty Advanced Warfare's campaign!

The last few levels of the game were filled with action and crazy weaponry. Mitchell and team were sent out to destroy Atlas battleships using large turrets on another ship in San Francisco. We assaulted the harbor and fought our way through to the ship, manned the turrets and destroyed the battleship.

In the next mission, I piloted a jet to reach Baghdad and assault Atlas headquarters directly. I had full control of the jet as it flew through a canyon, shooting missiles at enemy jets, tanks and various other enemies. When we got close to the city, the awesome jet separated the cockpit from the rest of the aircraft and I dropped from the sky right into the target zone. I then had to take out 3 large turrets. I was equipped with a grapple hook, so I zipped around the area to take out enemies. I faced off against a few assault exosuits and discovered a new technique. When I am behind these guys, I was able to use the grapple to pull the pilot straight out of the suit, then smash it's skull on the ground. At the end of the mission, I was asked to grab a stinger rocket to take out a nearby tank, but as I did, drones appeared. These small drones released the infamous biological weapon. Being former Atlas members, Mitchell, Gideon and Ilona are all immune, but everyone else died a painful death.

We were captured by Atlas and brought to Irons by prison truck. There was a little standoff between all the characters. Irons shot the Sentinel captain and left him to bleed out, and he damaged my bionic arm so that it is no longer functional. Shortly after, we managed to escape again with Gideon and Ilona's amazing skills. We got separated by a door shortly after, so I was with Gideon for the rest of the level. Having only one arm, I was forced to use small pistols and SMG's and was not able to reload. I picked up new weapons from enemies as I went along. In our escape, we ended up using a hatch that led to a crematorium conveyor belt... We got out of there just in time, hopped on a VTOL, but got shot down. In the crash, we found an assault exosuit on an enemy and I was able to put it on.

Those fucking things are AMAZING! I had rockets, a crazy minigun and lots of armor. I mowed down dozens of enemies and escaped the facility. It was a real thrill to ride this thing and be completely overpowered for a bit. The last level was an assault on Irons facility to stop the launch of the biological weapon on most of the civilized world. Using the exosuits again, we fucking destroyed everything in sight, then destroyed the rocket that was to launch the payload.
This was a great moment
The very end of the game has a cool moment where Irons paralyzes Mitchell and Gideon by using a secret hack to jam their exosuits, all manufactured by Atlas of course. In a great little sequence, Mitchell manages to exit his suit, then sprints after Irons. The entire building is on fire due to the damage we did to the rocket. I grabbed Irons then in a cliche, but great moment, Irons holds on to Mitchell to prevent himself from falling into the burning remains of the skyscraper. Mitchell was stuck in the railing, so to get free and get rid of irons, he mercilessly chops his own bionic arm off with his knife, letting Irons plummet to his death. I think this is one of the best campaigns in the Call of Duty series and I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected.

I also played a few multiplayer matches and did well enough, though nothing amazing and nothing horrible.