December 4, 2014

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare

Date played: December 3rd
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

I played about 4 levels in the story mode and enjoyed it quite a bit. 4 years after the nuclear attacks by Hades, the big bad guy from the KVA, I'm with Atlas and we have a lead to find him. In Detroit, there is a doctor that is apparently tied closely with our target, so I went out there with Gideon to capture the doctor.

Using small hoverbikes, we went through the ravaged city of Detroit to find our man. We killed a bunch of enemies, as usual, and eventually found the target in a small office. We grabbed him and made a spectacular escape on our hover bikes. I had direct control of the thing and had to avoid debris, rockets, soldiers and helicopters as I sped through the rubble back to base. It was exciting!

Ilona is a sort of mercenary that was hired by Atlas to interrogate the doctor. She got some intel that led us to Greece, so I went with her to try and find Hades there. Advanced Warfare does something really nice that hasn't really been done in this series in a while. It allows itself to be calm and relaxed at times. This makes the huge, bombastic action scenes have more impact instead. When shit is blowing up all the time, it's easy to get numb to it real quick.

Anyway, we went to Greece together and sat at a cafe for a while. I got a little tablet out of my bag and started scouting using an attack drone. A large portion of this mission had me controlling this drone, protecting Gideon's team as they assaulted Hades's hideout. When we finally shot him, we discovered that we had been duped. Hades was still on the loose. All hell broke loose and we had to jump into the action. At one point, we had to avoid a sniper perched on top of a bell tower. He was equipped with a very powerful rifle, so the only way to take him out was to make the entire tower explode... Eventually, we found Hades in a truck and killed him. As he was dying, he gave Mitchell, my character, some data and muttered "Irons knows.".

While our team was getting ready for whatever was next in New Baghdad, Ilona discovered that Jonathan Irons, the head of Atlas, knew about the imminent nuclear attacks and did nothing to prevent them. In fact, it was to his advantage as Atlas became the most powerful entity in the world after the incident. Ilona, Gideon and Mitchell talked about it together but were quickly caught. Irons claimed that the data was faked, and Gideon seemed to buy it as myself and Ilona were held captive. I received a cryptic transmission from an unknown source that gave me a way out by blowing up some stuff in the base.

Jonathan Irons, betrayer extraordinaire
Ilona and I escaped the Atlas facility and went on a fast paced run from Atlas soldiers. We used a new device, the grapple hook, to climb through different areas quickly. In one part of the mission, we used small, one person submersible boats to race through the canals of the city. When there were obstacles and missiles, I was able to quickly dodge under water. Finally, we reached the spot indicated by the cryptic stranger. It turns out it was my superior officer, before I joined Atlas. He is part of a special task force called Sentinel that was assembled by the US government. At the very end of the mission, Gideon caught up with us, but pretended that he hadn't... I'm sure he will have a role to play later in the story.

They were interested in helping us take out Irons, so we went on a mission to raid Irons' house and gain some intel. This was a stealth mission. I had a little device that would tag enemy soldiers and drones and the grapple hook could be used to stealth kill enemies from bushes. It was a nice change of pace, but I failed a few times because I was seen. At the end of the mission, we got some intel and witnessed Irons hiding some mysterious items in a crate that was later put on a cargo plane. We grappled onto the plane, set a tracking device and jumped off. I am really liking the story and the missions in the single player mode, it's the best Call of Duty has been with that stuff in a long time.

I also played a few multiplayer rounds, but nothing special to report. I'm level 27 or so and have started using the Warbird killstreak. It's nice and powerful. I did relatively well, though I had a couple of bad games in Domination.