December 27, 2014

Sunset Overdrive

Date played: December 26th
Platform: Xbox One
Session fun rating: 9/10

I didn't have much time to play, but I still managed to complete 3 side quests. I met up with the weird gang that holes up in the old Japanese history museum. The leader seems fucking insane, but he agreed to help me find Brylcreem, the dude who is supposed to help me get out of the city somehow...I think.

Whatever, after a brief discussion with crazy Troopmaster Norton, a new quest hub area became available. I bought a new weapon, the Roman Candle. It has replaced the vinyl disc launcher in my weapon wheel as my go-to automatic weapon. That thing is very powerful and easy to use. It basically uses fireworks as ammo, causing small explosions all over the place. Coupled with the the Burn Baby! amp, it makes for some impressive firepower against all enemy types.

The Roman Candle is an amazing weapon
In the first side quest, I had to gather 5 porcelain cats for a girl that were being held by scabs. The next 2 missions had me gather some comic books for an weird nerd by killing OD. While the quests themselves and the objectives are not that great on their own, the sheer joy of playing Sunset Overdrive is enough to make every second of it tons of fun! I'm also more comfortable than ever with the crazy traversal to get where I want quickly, while still killing enemies by the dozen. I love grinding, bouncing, wall-running, pole vaulting and jumping around the beautiful city...