December 22, 2014

Sunset Overdrive

Date played: December 21st
Platform: Xbox One
Session fun rating: 9/10

I played a lot of Sunset Overdrive yesterday. I'm surprised at how much I enjoy playing the little challenge missions that pop up after most main missions. There are usually two new challenges per main mission and so far, I've been able to get the top score on all of them except 2. There's crate smashing, traversal, bomb setting, point gathering, combat arenas, weapon challenges, fort defense and even some flight challenges!

As for the main missions, It started with an amazing climb between two skyscrapers to find one of the kid's missing parents. I used stationary harpoon guns to build makeshift bridges between the buildings and fought many human enemies. It was a fun mission focused on platforming.

One of the rich kids in the safe house isn't willing to help build the propeller I need because she misses her dog. Of course, I then had to go find the pooch. When I got the park where it was hanging out, I discovered that it was a robotic attack dog, but he wasn't willing to follow me. I had go to a toy store and get a stuffed cat to lure the dog. I attached the kitty to one of my guns and could command the dog's movements with it. I then had to bring him back to the safe house. Along the way, I fought dozens and dozens of OD...but not in the same way as usual. While wielding the kitty, I was unable to use any other guns, I only had melee and the robot dog. Thankfully, that little mutt is a fucking monster against OD, hell, he took down half a dozen Herkers in less than 30 seconds! All I had to do was direct him to the right spot and not get killed.

After delivering that, the kids were able to build a 3D printer that would build my propeller, but they still needed a better processor to make it work. I went out to see a redneck who lives in a radio tower converted into a treehouse of sorts. The man had computer parts, but before giving them to me, he wanted to record me fighting OD for his new reality TV show... I fought OD while fulfilling the man's requests, such as killing while bouncing, grinding, etc.

Processor in hand, I went back to the kids and they started building the propeller. In the meantime, I went back to my base to build some new amps. Of course, this meant another round of night defense at the fort. I set some traps and got ready to go crazy. These missions are so much fun! There is an stream of OD swarming the base as I scramble to kill as many of them as possible. It ends up being extremely frantic, full of explosions and OD juice and it gives me a chance to play with all my weapons.

Speaking of weapons, I got a few new ones. There's the Captain Ahab, a harpoon that creates a pool of overcharge on the ground which attracts OD. It's useful to group enemies together, then shoot the shit out of them. Then there's the Dude, a gun that shoots rocket bowling balls in a straight line. It's very powerful against groups of enemies running towards me. Finally, there's the Freeze Bomb which freezes a enemies in a large radius. It's great when overwhelmed as it gives me a few seconds to recover.

After getting the processor, the kids were able to build the propeller and launch the small aircraft. Before launch, I was faced with a new enemy type, Fizzco robots. These things are very strong and have powerful rifles. Most of my weapons were ineffective against them, so I had to whittle away their health from a distance.
Fizzco robots suck...

After the battle, I got to pilot the glider and had to fly over steam to keep it airborne. It was equipped with rockets too, which I used to destroy mines. The goal was to get out of the city, I had to follow a Fizzco blimp until the kids could hack away it's shields. I destroyed the blimp and made my way to the edges of the city. Unfortunately, there was an invisible wall built by Fizzco that destroyed the glider and killed my partner...