December 9, 2014

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

Date played: December 9th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 9/10

I completed the second dungeon, the Caverns of Fire.

To get there, I had to climb up a large mountain. This required lots of exploration, bombs, parachuting, fighting and climbing. One of the best puzzles had me required me to find a bottle from a deku dude hidden in a cave, then fill this bottle with water, which I then fed to a plant that grew to become a makeshift ladder for Link. There was good use of the shrinking and growing mechanic along the way too.

During my journey to the top of the mountain, I encountered a fairy that gave me a bigger bomb bag and another deku that sold me a bracelet that lets me climb some rock faces. At the top of the mountain, I found a Minish mining expedition, led by their master sword smith. I gave him my broken Minish sword, then went on to find the next element in the nearby human mine, the Caverns of Fire.

The dungeon was really cool. I had to use a mine cart and track switching devices to get where I needed to go. After a while, I found the dungeon item, a rod that lets me flip things over. It can also be used to charge up little holes that launch Link into the air, letting him cross some large gaps. There was a whole section of the dungeon where I had to move along platforms moving on lava, sometimes having to flip the platforms with my new rod. I then had to use small tornadoes to lift Link up in the air then parachute around the lava and obstacles.

Gleerok put up a good fight!
Finally, I took on the boss, Gleerok. The large dragon swam in lava and spit fire at me as I ran around his fiery home. I used my new rod to flip it's shell which stunned him and opened him up to attack. I killed it, grabbed my heart and went back to see the sword smith. He made my sword stronger and gave me information on rescuing Zelda. I went back to town and bought the boomerang with all my money. With the new rod and climbing ability, I'm sure I will find dozens of new spots to explore.