December 5, 2014

flOw

Date played: December 4th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 8/10

I've played this game before, when I first had my PS3, but at 1,80$, it was hard to pass up this great deal on a very relaxing game with awesome visual design. flOw is a 2D game where you control a variety of sea creatures. They must eat other organisms to grow and evolve into larger creatures. The goal is to simply grow as big as possible and reach the bottom of the sea. On each 2D plane, there are two special organisms that can be eaten that allow your creature to move up or down a level.

My snake fish attacks a bigger snake fish!
I reached the bottom of the sea with two of the available creatures. The first is a sort of snake with a large mouth. When evolving, it adds "wings" to it's body. I fought dangerous creatures in underwater combat. Thankfully, even when you fail in flOw, you really don't fail, you just get bumped up a level and try again.

The second creature is a round, jellyfish-like creature that eats from it's center. It was a bit more challenging to stay alive with this one because my edible parts were all exposed on the outer edges of the mouth.

What I like best about flOw is how you can see larger creatures deep below, hidden within a depth of field effect. The PS4 version is exactly the same as the PS3 version was, but it's still a fun experience. My daughter enjoyed watching out for large fish and loved seeing the creatures evolve.