December 28, 2014

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary

Date played: December 27th
Platform: Xbox One
Session fun rating: 8/10

I played a single level in Halo, Two Betrayals. This was definitely one of the toughest levels yet. Master Chief had to go reactivate three devices deep inside Covenant territory and filled with Flood. More than once, I struggled with ammo and often didn't have the right weapon type for the battles. For example, in one room, I had an empty rocket launcher and a plasma rifle to take on a huge swarm of Flood. I had to kill enough of them with the plasma rifle and grenades until I was able to grab a shotgun or assault rifle from their corpses. To add insult to injury, I had a single point of health left. When I activated the device in the room, my shield went down and left me with that single point to hold off a huge rush of melee focused Flood... It took me many tries, probably around 5 or so, but I did it!

Two Betrayals is a challenging, but fun mission
Another section of the level was a huge snowy field where two Covenant tanks and many troops were fighting Flood. I had to get to a Banshee in the back so that I could fly to the last device. The challenge here is that some of the battle is very long range, but there are also enemies that rush in. I ended up using the rocket launcher to take care of the tanks, the hunters and a couple of elites, while using the assault rifle, a needler and a plasma rifle to finish off the rest. It was very challenging to me and took me a solid 3 or 4 tries before I got through. With the devices activated, Cortana suggested Master Chief assault a Covenant ship to rescue Keyes and destroy the vessel to prevent the Flood from leaving Halo.