December 14, 2014

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

Date played: December 13th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 10/10

I made very good progress in Minish Cap, completing the 3rd dungeon. I had lots of stuff on my plate before I even approached that place though. I discovered a secret sanctuary door in Hyrule Castle where I was able to merge the elements I gathered into my sword. It granted me a new ability that lets me create a clone of Link for a short period. This is used to solve many puzzles and open new paths.

To get to the Fortress of Winds, I had to go through Castor Wilds. This swampy area could not be navigated without the use of the Pegasus Boots. To get these magical running boots, I had to visit the town's shoe maker... but I had a problem. The guy was asleep and couldn't be woken up. I discovered some Minish were living in his shop and making shoes for him, but they weren't able to wake him either. I had to find a witch in the woods that sold me a mushroom that could be used to wake the dude.

Along the way, I met with the owners of the Lon Lon Ranch, Talon and Malon. They had lost the key to their house, so I shrunk down, got the key from inside and gave it to them. I also explored the areas I could reach with my new staff, finding heart pieces and Kinstone pieces everywhere. After all that, I finally scored my Pegasus Boots.

In the swamp, I got stuck for a little bit. There were some cyclops blocking some of the paths, but I couldn't figure out how to move them. It turns out, I had missed a small path where I could go down a vine and find the bow and arrow... With my new weapon, I was able to shoot the stone cyclops in the eye, wake them, and kill them. Again, after a lot of exploration, I reached a new area where sleeping warriors blocked the way. To activate them, I had to shrink down, climb into their bellies and turn on a switch! After all that, I finally reached the dungeon.

The Mole Mitts fun to use
This dungeon was quite complicated, having 5 different entrances and multiple levels. Using my new bow, I sometimes had to ride moving platforms, then shoot at targets to open doors. I fought many skeletons and was horrified at the return of the hands that drop from the ceiling, a classic enemy. Eventually, I found a new item, the Mole Mitts. These impressive gloves allow Link to dig through soft soil. The dungeon was full of it and removing it revealed many secrets and new passages. There were also many puzzles that required me to use the new cloning ability.

I then faced off with the boss, an impressive stone monster with two giant hands. By shooting his hands with the bow, I was able to weaken him, but not damage him. To actually hurt him, I had to use a nearby device to shrink down, enter the creature's abdomen, dig through the soil inside, then hit his weak spot!

Unfortunately, it seems the Wind Element was lost and will have to be found elsewhere. I did score the Ocarina of Wind, which lets me fast travel between set points in the world though. Back in Hyrule town, I bought a larger bomb bag and went on my way. I then spent a LOT of time talking to citizens, mainly because I wanted to fuse Kinstones. These things reveal cool items, secrets, characters and even small quests. It's a really cool mechanic and it's a too bad it wasn't used again in a different game of the series. I must now go to Lake Hylia, but I think I'll fuck around with the Kinstone secrets a bit before I continue.