December 9, 2014

Kerbal Space Program

Date played: December 8th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 5/10

Holy shit this game is insane... In fact, I hesitate to call it a game, it seems a lot closer to a rocket science simulator. I played only the first two tutorials and messed around with the sandbox mode. Kerbal Space Program is about building spaceships from a variety of different parts. Then you get to launch your spaceship and pilot it directly.

At least the tutorial let me successfully launch a rocket...
The problem is, everything is extremely complex... The physics feel real, which means weight distribution, center of mass, propulsion power, fuel capacity, systems activation sequences and dozens of other factors play a role in the rocket's success. I'm excited to see what can be done in this game, but so far, it's really intimidating, regardless of the cute pilots. In sandbox mode, I managed to build a rocket that launched, though it exploded many times before I got it off the ground. I never managed to land it safely yet, though that might be because I forgot to put a parachute on the command module.