December 27, 2014

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Date played: December 26th
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 10/10

This little game keeps me smiling and I'm afraid it will be over too quickly! It turns out I was really close to the end of the first "book". One of the cooler levels was set on a spooky train filled with little nooks and crannies to explore.

I then had to battle the second boss, the giant bird who had stolen the star and Toadette at the beginning of the game. This was one of the most involved and fun levels in the game. I had to climb a four sided tower using various ramps and devices to get to higher ground. All the while, the bird was flapping it's wings strongly enough that it would push objects and our Captain. It moved around the level in a clockwise fashion, so I had to time my movements around the position of the bird. When I reached the top, I was able to battle the beast directly. It threw giant turnips at me that I could throw back at him if I evaded them successfully. After hitting him 3 times, he dropped Toadette and the star...then the credits rolled...
This boss was a fun challenge!

Thankfully, that's not the end of the game just yet. I now have an entire new "book" but now, Toadette must rescue Captain Toad! Toadette plays exactly the same as Captain Toad, except she is pink and has pigtails. I played a few levels with her including a fun level with sliding platforms, a little jungle filled with piranha plants, a challenging mine cart level, a place with invisible floors and the cutest little water park in the world, complete with Goombas splashing around in the water.