December 23, 2014

Metroid: Other M

Date played: December 22nd
Platform: Wii
Session fun rating: 8/10

Exploration of sector 1 is going pretty well. After killing a swarm of geemers and other minor enemies in an area filled with vegetation, I explored further, looking for clues as to what happened in the space station. Exploration is real nice in this game so far. There are a lot of nooks and crannies to find and a surprisingly large number of spots to use the morph ball.

At one point, I found a sort of containment area, or cage, where a creature had been held, but had since killed nearby staff and escaped, but that's all I really know so far. I picked up many missile expansion upgrades along the way, as well as a an item that reduces charge time for my cannon. When I went back to the vegetation area, I found a small white furry creature. That thing is creepy as fuck, but I think it's either going to be an ally or a very dangerous enemy. Time will tell...

I moved forward and found an area that looked like it was completely outdoors, but being on a space station, that's impossible. It turns out that the ecosystems on the station are built with holograms to give the impression of an horizon. I fought a new enemy type here, a sort of predator that disguises itself as a large herbivore.

Arm cannon headshot!
Then I found an elevator shaft filled with geemers and handholds on the sides. After climbing to the top, it was clear that I wasn't going through because of an elevator that was stuck at the top. After shooting it with missiles, it only held above my head by a thread...then a strong enemy appeared. The trick to this was to hide in one of the little nooks in the shaft then shoot the remaining support to make the elevator fall on the enemy and open the way... However, I was stupid didn't notice that until the 4th try. I was attempting to kill the creature and got squished by the elevator every time.

Further into sector 1, I found a room where two Ghalmanians were waiting for me. The purple lizard-like creatures can become invisible and attack with poison projectiles and their amazing tail. I locked on to them with my missiles, stunned them and blew their fucking heads off with my arm cannon. Satisfying.