March 1, 2014

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Date played: February 28th
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 10/10

I completed 4 levels in the savannah world. Baobab Bonanza was a pretty standard level and was fairly difficult. The challenge came from the flowers I had to jump on to safely traverse. These flowers would dip to one side or another depending on where DK is standing. It's a simple mechanic, but it works well.

Frantic Fields was one of the coolest levels as it featured strong winds which ultimately turned the entire level into a tornado. I rode Rambi throughout, making it a lot easier to dispatch enemies. It's hard to describe in words, but the action definitely lives up to the level's name.
A rhino in a tornado!

Scorch 'N' Torch introduced fire elements to the game. Basically, everything is on fire in the level, including enemies, platforms, vines and trees. Thankfully, there were some water...berries (?!) scattered throughout that I could grab and throw at things to extinguish them. This level was tons of fun.

Finally, I played Twilight Terror, another barrel rocket ride. These levels are really cool to play, but this one looked good doing it too. I rode through some sort of harbor, avoiding fish nets, riding close to the water, all the while being chased and attacked by enormous fish. This level featured TWO secret exits. I saw the first one but missed it the first time through, while the second one I found at the end of the level by swimming deep with Dixie's hair pushing us through the current.