March 15, 2014

Killzone Shadow Fall

Date played: March 14th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 8/10

Since my game crashed due to some game-breaking bug in the first level the last time I played it, I restarted chapter 2. It was a lot faster to complete of course and I tried out more weapons to see how the handled. I ended up using the sniper rifle a bit more than last time and found it to be very good.

Chapter 3 is a weird, infiltration mission on a large spaceship that has been affected by some sort of virus. The Helghans and Vektans had agreed to both work together on this ship, when suddenly, the Helghans started dying from some illness. My job was to get on the ship and route it into a nearby sun to eliminate any traces of the event.

When I got there, the place was mostly empty, filled with dead bodies and debris. It was reminiscent of Dead Space in a lot of ways. It even had a few zero-g segments, though there was nothing to do but get from one door to another. I explored the empty vessel, using picked up power cells to progress, until I powered on the reactor using a daisy-chain of power cells. Finally, I headed to the bridge to re-route the ship towards the sun. After that was successfully completed, I saw the half Vektan, half Helghan spy woman I encountered earlier. She held a hostage, the woman I was sent here to kill, so I chased her down. Along the way, I fought many Helghans, using a few new automatic weapons that I liked quite a bit. Finally, I found the spy and had a hand to hand skirmish with her before she managed to escape with the hostage on another ship. At the same time, the ship I was on exploded as I scrambled in space to reach the extraction vessel sent for me.

Yes, that's a spaceship crashing into the sun
While the mission itself was pretty cool, it's the incredible lighting effects that kept my attention. The PS4 has a lot of promise, and it's clear with a game like Killzone. While in essence, it's a conventional FPS shooter, it's graphics are something quite special in my opinion.

I played a little bit of Chapter 4 too, but haven't finished it yet. Back in Vekta City, the Helghans finally attacked. They bombed the ISA headquarters, just as our hero was approaching. I got up, killed a couple of dudes and set off on a shuttle to deal with it. The first order of business was to retake control of the train system. I navigated the dangerous suspended tracks, avoiding high speed train traffic, while fighting Helghans. The OWL's zipline ability came in very handy in this level so far, allowing easier navigation.