March 5, 2014

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Date played: March 4th
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 10/10

I completed world 4, including all the secret levels, the "K" level and the unbelievably cool final boss. I also played through 3 levels of the fifth world. Shoal Atoll was a weird, underwater maze of sorts. It had no checkpoints, and I had to find various keys to progress. There are multiple paths available and I got lost once or twice, but eventually I got through.

Current Capers was a rough swim through a machine infested cavern. I had to enable some devices to open doors and swim through. The challenge lay in avoiding the many spikes and other moving apparatus of death scattered throughout. That's when I hit 4-K, a devious bonus level. It featured rapidly moving platforms surrounded by deadly spikes and very tight jumps. To make things worse, the second half of the level has lava rising from the floor and sinking platforms. It took me a solid dozen tries, but I made it.

The boss was fucking great. It was underwater, which scared the shit out of me, but it turned out to be pretty manageable, but challenging. The boss is a giant yellow puffer fish that inhales water to puff up, pulling DK towards it's big flappy mouth. Then it would change the direction of the current and push DK towards spikes on the edges. I had to hit it's soft underbelly, which was pretty easy at first, but as he sped up, I became more and more desperate in my movements and made many deadly mistakes. I took him down and made my way to the colorful and fruity 5th world.

Harvest Hazards welcomed me into world 5 with a bang of color, cool music and new enemies. The difficulty is definitely getting higher and higher as I progress. Here, I was confronted with dangerous swinging platforms, lizards with bouncy fruit on their backs and slugs that shit poison.
Reckless Ride was CRAY CRAY!
Reckless ride was an epic barrel rocket ride with a dynamic camera. I shot my way through giant fruit that was being hauled, chopped up and hurled at me, all the while avoiding the attacks of a giant mechanical car with spiky hands. Finally, I played Fruity Factory, a dangerous romp through a fruit factory. As expected, I avoided slicers, squishing machines and other fruit cutting devices. Towards the end, I was treated to a nice platforming challenge that had me jump on freshly sliced fruit as it fell back down into the bladed crusher. I really like the theme in the 5th world and am glad to finally be out of the water.