March 22, 2014

Killzone Shadow Fall

Date played: March 21st
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

I completed chapter 4, the train mission. I cleared out the train area and found one of them to be filled with dangerous chemicals, set to be used as a weapon. I shot the moving train's magnetic rail clamps with a minigun and went after Tyran, the head of the terrorist Helghan faction. In an epic sequence, I held on to a rope tied to his dropship, shot a couple of his henchmen than stabbed Tyran in the foot before falling off and landing on a deployable inflated landing pad.

Chapter 5 was really cool. I was set to infiltrate a Helghan refugee camp of sorts. It really sets the mood at the beginning by making me walk through the security checkpoint as if I was just a regular person. We boarded a train, where I made my move, took out the guard and jumped down into the city. People say that graphics don't matter sometimes, but holy fuck, the beautiful lighting and incredible visual design really helps set the tone and makes the experience more enjoyable. Screenshots don't even do this game justice, it really does look amazing.

I found a gun, shot tons of dudes and figured out where Tyran was hiding. When I found him, I managed to destroy the building, kill him in the process and escape alive. Unfortunately, I was also captured by the Helghans, again.

Chapter 6 was a big change of pace. It starts off with the hero in jail with no weapons or communications. The jail is set in Containment City, an enormous sort of shipyard where thousands, maybe millions of shipping containers act as jail cells. I got help from a Helghan I assisted in the last chapter who opened my cell, guided me through the area and led me to a safe area. That's where Echo, the half-Vektan, half-Helghan chick from before, joined me and asked for my help. She makes a convincing case that both factions are working towards genocide and that something must be done. We sort of became a little rebel team.

Echo and I hold position against droves of enemies
She gave me a weapon and the ability to hack little mechanical spiders to navigate hard to reach areas and destroy security consoles and cameras. Echo helped me escape so that I could convince my superior, Sinclair, to stop the war in some way. The mission was tons of fun. She has the ability to snipe enemies and I could ask her to take out specific targets. I made my way through the Helghan refugee camp and eventually destroyed very strong mechanical, 4 legged machines of war. Finally, we reached the border and had to hold out against a huge attack from many enemies. Echo controlled flying mechanical weapons, which I used to destroy large enemies, while taking out infantry with my rifle.

I'm surprised at how much I love this game, though I shouldn't be. I loved the other games in the series...