March 21, 2014

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Date played: March 20th
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 9/10

Another PS+ freebie, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is tons of fun and kept my attention for a good amount of time. When I played the demo on Wii U, I had a really good time, and the Vita version plays just as well and looks almost as good, considering the small screen.

I played through many world tour events, which are a variety of events including of course many races, but also special events like drifting, boosting, rival races and even a flight challenge. The game has three vehicle types, cars, boats and aircraft which are activated on the fly in different sections of the level. It's really cool, though the car sections are by far the most fun for me.

Ulala is my favorite
The characters are varied, and each has a special "all-star" ability, a super powerful move that seems to be granted at random with item pickups. I played as all the unlocked characters. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Metal Sonic, two monkeys from Monkey Ball, a Crazy Taxi driver, Alex Kidd, Beat from Jet Set Radio, Wreck It Ralph (WTF) and finally, my favorite of the bunch, Ulala from Space Channel 5. I also unlocked the monkey from Samba de Amigo, Danica Patrick (again, WTF) and Shadow.

The best part of the game are the amazing tracks. They are well designed and fun to race, with a few exceptions. For example, I didn't really like one of the Jet Set Radio tracks and the Golden Axe track, but I loved Space Harrier, Sonic, Monkey Ball and most of the others. I am definitely keeping this game installed and plan to play more.