March 8, 2014

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Date played: March 8th
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 10/10

I completed world 5! Beehive Brawl, a secret level, was a dangerous trek through a dark beehive. Scrumptious honey became a hazard and fucking bees were on my ass the whole time. It featured some really cool swinging houses of sorts where I had to hold on to the vines on the side.

Panicky Paddles was one of the worst levels in the game... mainly because I had a really hard time getting the G letter collectible. The level had me navigating a multitude of rapidly rotating platforms, usually leading to a spiky death if missed. There was a tricky underwater section too. The G letter was really hard to grab because it was on the underside of one of these rotating platforms, and it was pretty damn far from a checkpoint. Eventually, I gave up my roll-jumping attempts and brought in Dixie, which made this easier, but still took me three attempts.

Jammin' Jams featured some large fruit crushing machinery that stood in DK's way. This level was fun to navigate and added challenge with a few barrel shooting sections and some disappearing platforms. Jelly Jamboree was one of the most fun, if easy levels so far. It's a basic jumping level, but it features giant globs of bouncy jelly to navigate.

Frosty Fruits was the first time (at least I think) where there was actual ice in this game. Ironic since the game is called Tropical Freeze... Many areas of the ground were frozen and slippery, definitely cranking up the difficulty on some of the jumps. It also had some very fast sections where I was shot in different directions by plants that bumped me horizontally.

Then I hit the K level. As usual, it was unforgiving, though it felt more reasonable than some of the others. There were some very tricky parts to it, mainly in a section where platforms moved around quickly and flipping into the background at certain points. The timing on this stuff is really hard to describe in words, but it required intense concentration and skill.

Polar bear boss!
Finally, I took on the boss, my favorite in the game up to this point. DK accidentally knocks an icy treat from a polar bear's claws. Of course, this results in an epic battle. I had to dodge it's hammer and bop it on the head. I also had to avoid it's dangerous high jumps. I avoided ice blocks it threw at me and finally jumped over very fast ice bullets to kill it. It was an awesome fight!