March 18, 2014

Civilization V

Date played: March 17th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 9/10

I had an itch to play some Civilization, and decided to buy the Civ V expansion, Brave New World. The new civs are nice, as well as the new units, buildings and wonders, but the bulk of the game's expansion is built around trade routes and a new culture system, both of which weren't easily apparent during the early game. I started out with Ghandi and his Indians on a shuffled map and I played it for a until year 0 or so, but I was dealt a shitty hand in terms of geography and quickly fell behind. I decided to abandon the match and try a more balanced map.
My Koreans
This time, I picked the Koreans and a continental map. The results were better, as you can see in the image, but I've had production issues that have slowed me down. I have a focus on growth right now, which works pretty well, but I haven't really set up how I want to win the match yet. Maybe scientific would work, or diplomatic. However, I am still learning the basics of the new cultural victory and I think I might try again with a new Civ. There's a new stat, tourism, that acts as offense while culture acts a defense. The trade routes are nice too, allowing for caravans and cargo ships to trade money and science.