March 16, 2014

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Date played: March 15th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 10/10

I got back into Zelda last night. After a few lingering street pass battles, I finally headed to Hyrule castle, where I fought a few enemies on my way to the princess. When I got there, the bad guy turned her into a (beautiful) painting... I chased him down, only to find him escaping through a mysterious rift in the world. Of course, Link followed. That's when I discovered the dark world of Lorule. It is ruled by Princess Hilda, Zelda's friendly, dark haired counterpart.

The bad guy managed to find and capture all 7 sages and Princess Zelda then turned them all into paintings. This allowed him to summon Ganon, the pig looking beast, and "merge" with him, becoming an all powerful wizard. Hilda saved Link from death by putting a temporary spell on the beast. Link must now find the seven paintings and free the sages, scattered through Lorule.

Lorule
Lorule is a really cool, dark version of the world. The music is fucking incredible too... I spent a lot of time exploring the central area of Lorule and found tons of interesting things, including a giant flower bomb that follows Link to destroy large boulders. At the slightest touch from enemies or fire, it explodes and the path must be rethreaded from the original point. It's a cool mechanic. The world is split because of large chasms, so in order to reach certain areas, I will have to find rifts in Hyrule to reach the other areas of Lorule. I started with the dungeon located in Kakariko village, a thief hideout.

The gimmick with this dungeon was a partner. After exploring the dungeon a bit, it became clear that certain areas couldn't be reached without the help of another person to step on switches. I found a thief who had been imprisoned by her boss for a reason I forget, who was willing to help me if I helped her escape. The dungeon itself was standard fare, with conveyor belts, switches, statues to move and lots of enemies to fight. I reached the boss and killed it pretty easily. The fight was quite interesting though. I had to merge into the big skeleton's shield to reach his back side and swipe at it with my sword.

I also managed to gather enough rupees to buy every single item in the shop. The boomerang is turning into a mainstay for me, simply because of it's quick stunning ability and low cost per use. I also like the fire rod, because it deals high damage and destroys enemy shields. I rescued one sage, bring on the rest!