September 8, 2017

Watch Dogs 2

Date played: September 7th
Platform: PS4

I jumped back into Watch Dogs, but honestly, I ended up fucking around more than doing any real missions for most of my time. I decided that Scout X would be a good place to start. Scout X is an application on Marcus' phone that tracks landmarks and gives me followers for publishing photos of them.

Honestly, the photo app is lots of fun to use more fleshed out that you would expect. I set up waypoints for the scouting locations, then had fun taking selfies with my new, slick clothing, fun filters and expressive faces. It was a good way to learn my way around downtown, and it was fun to just roam and take pics while some good music on.
Hiding in a car is a great way to escape the cops

Later, I decided to start a mission. In this case, I had to break into a movie studio and steal the script for an upcoming hacker movie called "Cyber-Driver". The idea is that DeadSec will use the script to make fun of the shitty movie, and release a fake trailer to show what hackers can really do. It's fucking stupid, but it makes for a fun mission.

I invested a few research points into some new skills, including a skill that allows me to make cars move in a direction of my choice. This opened up many new ways to approach encounters, and thankfully, the studio lot was chock full of cars to hack! This was the first real mission, and it showed, because there was a lot of bad guys there...

I tried being methodical, hacking junction boxes and other objects in the hopes of taking out as many guys as possible with electrocution. I also sent a few cars straight into the bad guys, killing a few instantly. When I had a good shot, I would use the tranquilizer gun to knock out a guy. I even used my little jumper drone to hack open some doors and stuff. There's really a lot of options to get stuff done in this game, and that's really fun. Eventually, I was seen, but managed to shoot my way out with my pistol, then hide.

With the script in hand, the group of hackers had what they needed to make a mock trailer, and it was pretty great to watch. There's so much to discover in this game, I'm really excited to see more of it!