September 4, 2017

Final Fantasy VII

Date played: September 3rd
Platform: PS4

Finally, the world is open and I can explore and fight to my leisure! I spent some time in Kalm, the first real town of the game. I explored it, found some items, spoke to some people, then headed out East, following the rumors of the man in the black coat, which is of course Sephiroth.

There's not much that is available on the map at this point, aside from Kalm, a dangerous swamp and a chocobo farm! After a few random battles, I reached the farm and spoke with the owners. To cross the swamp, I'm gonna need a chocobo, because it's guarded by a large, dangerous monster. This requires Chocobo Lure materia and some greens to feed to the bird. Unfortunately, I had just spent all my money on equipment, so I had to go back out and fight some monsters to get cash for my lure materia.
Chocobo farm!

I then spent a good amount of time trying to actually catch one of the noisy fuckers. The mechanics for catching chocobo kinda suck to be honest, but eventually, I got one and made it past the swamp and into a small cavern. I fought a few monsters here and got some treasure, then ran into the Turks! They have new people in their ranks, and inadvertently they reveal that Sephiroth is headed to Junon, a small town. The Turks leave rather quickly...

Outside the cavern is a new area for me to explore. In front of me was a large reactor with a giant bird on top of it. When I entered the area, I learned that this place is called Fort Condor and that they defend against Shinra attackers frequently. The bird on top of the reactor is an endangered condor, and the residents just want it to be happy, but Shinra want to kill it as it's affecting the reactor.

What followed is one of the worst, most boring mini-games in the history of RPG's... It's basically a little real-time strategy game, as I have to drop units on a map and direct them to attack enemies. There is a cost for each unit I place though, so it's kind of expensive to play this... The problem with the mini-game is that it's very, very slow, hard to control and fucking boring. I got through it and was rewarded with a sick weapon for Red XIII. I can't wait to continue exploring!