September 19, 2017

Watch Dogs 2

Date played: September 18th
Platform: PS4

Yesterday was all about exploring Oakland, to the east of San Francisco. It's definitely a rougher area. There's gang members everywhere, and they pull out their guns at the slightest offense, so it's more dangerous than what I have been dealing with in SF. I fast travelled to the southern end of Oakland, which is right next to a large restricted area filled with security guards. I had attempted to clear this area before, but got fucked up by the cops.

This time, I was more methodical and let the enemies fight my gang members, and eventually the cops. I stayed at a good distance and just waited for them to all kill each other, then I went in and collected all the loot.

I also spent some time shopping for cars, since I had a good amount of money, and have been satisfied with my pistol and shotgun, so I haven't had to spend on guns. I bought a couple of standard looking cars, since they were so cheap. I also wanted to buy a new performance car, and ended up with an old school Porsche lookalike. The car is pretty and it's fast, but it's also kind of a wild one. It's rear wheels often spin out, but it's been really easy to control the power sliding, so I like the car a lot.

I completed a number of side missions, mostly focusing on graffiti tagging and Driver: SF missions.The graffiti tagging is actually a lot of fun, since they are really just big navigational puzzles. Each is very different, and each requires a different approach. Some of the harder ones also take a long time to complete.

I typically start these missions with a bit of scouting with my quadcopter. I survey the area and look for opportunities to climb up. I've even gone as far as trying to lift vehicles with small forklifts to reach higher ground, but that doesn't work. Usually, there's a trick to it. For example, in one case, I had to drive off the highway and jump onto the roof a building, then drive into a jump to reach a second building. I spent a lot of time trying to reach that spot, but I hadn't spotted the jump. Another had me use a series of window-washing cranes, and another had me use a giant construction crane. These missions were all a ton of fun to me.
This graffiti tag mission's solution was really clever
I continued picking up research points, research data, clothing, paint jobs and money bags as I explored, fighting a few gangsters along the way. I often call my big truck from the phone app to create a climbing path for myself, which works more often than you would think.

One of the main missions was nearby, so I went to meet Wrench to hear what he had to propose. There's this company called Haum, and they manufacture a product similar to Amazon's Echo, or Google's Home devices. Haum claims that their device is 100% safe and unhackable, even calling out DeadSec by name. Of course, the guys took that as a challenge, so I'm gathering info on them now.

Another main mission had me meet with Sitara to help her protest at the Church of the New Dawn, or something like that. This church is apparently more like a cult than anything else, and DeadSec doesn't like it when people get fucked with, so we decided to fuck with them. During the protest, I had to infiltrate the church building and find some info on one of it's leaders by hacking a computer.

The place was very well guarded, with guards at every corner. I methodically eliminated them from outside the building, taking advantage of my Jumper RC, Quadcopter and even my "on call" gangsters. The place was almost cleared when I entered, then I just knocked out the remaining guards. I almost got caught, but I quickly distracted a guard with a hack to save the day. I got the info on the guy and am ready for the second leg of the mission!