September 23, 2017

NHL 18

Date played: September 22nd
Platform: PS4

I spent the evening at one of my brother's houses and he had just bought NHL 18. I've always loved these games, going back all the way to NHL '95, but I haven't played it in a few years. I think the last one I played seriously was NHL 14. Still, the basic controls and concepts haven't changed too much, so I was able to pick it up rather quickly.

Now, I have a shameful problem with the modern NHL games. I shoot like a fucking blind person. Seriously, I don't know what it is, but I often have trouble aiming my shots. Maybe I just don't understand the aiming system well enough... Either way, this means that I'm usually a great defensive player, and that I set up some good plays, but that I rarely stick the puck in the back of the net.

This was true against and with my brother. We played one match against each other, replicating last year's Stanley Cup final game between the Nashville Predators and the Pittsburgh Penguins. I had the Pens, and it was a really close game. It went to 4 overtime periods before my brother won the game 3-2.

We then played online, as a team, against other players. We held our own, fighting hard, but ultimately, we lost both matches we played, one as the Montreal Canadiens, the other as the Ottawa Senators. I had a lot of fun playing with my brother, but if I gonna play this again, I have to figure out a better way to aim my shots.