September 14, 2017

The Walking Dead: Michonne

Date played: September 13th
Platform: PS4

I finished The Walking Dead: Michonne!

I abandoned this game back in November last year and I'm not really sure why. I guess other games kept my attention... Last night, I decided it was time to play the 3rd and final episode. At the end of episode 2, Michonne, Pete, Paige, Sam, Alex and James were in the house. They have taken Randall (the bad guy I guess) hostage. Sam, Alex and James have just lost their father to the walkers, so the atmosphere is already pretty fucking bad, but it got worse real quick.
The children bury their father

We got a radio call from Norma, Randall's sister. She says that she has our friends from the boat in the beginning of the game, and that she will trade them for Randall. Much of the episode was about preparing for the meeting and hostage exchange, while also dealing with the father's death.

The best parts of these games are the conversations, and the decisions that go with them. The action scenes are fun to watch, but the real fun is in trying to talk my way out of bad situations. For example, Paige and Sam disagreed on how to handle the Norma situation. Paige wanted to run for it, while Sam wanted to fight. I convinced Paige to stay, while convincing Sam that we were trying to negotiate, not fight.

Later, I handed out ammo and weapons to everyone, getting them ready to fight if required. Since the beginning of the game, Michonne has been having visions, hallucinations and hearing voices all related to her two children, who both died during the first days of the walker problem. One of these hallucinations led her to Alex's room, the youngest child in the family, who must be around 5 years old. Poor kid doesn't even know his father's dead yet...

I sat with him, since he looked worried. The conversation was difficult, but I decided to tell him, as gently as possible, that his father was dead. Then I hugged him, and gave him time to grieve. This scene was really difficult for me, probably because I saw my daughter in the kid... Yes, I cried.

At dawn, Norma arrived with her crew and our hostage friends. We spoke a little bit, and quite honestly, I genuinely felt that Norma just wanted her brother back, and that we would be able to have a real discussion and negotiation. It went relatively well for a while. We were making progress...

Then Norma's crew decided that they didn't like how their leader was handling the situation, seeing that she intended to just trade the hostages. The crew wanted fucking vengeance... One of the guys shot one of the hostages, then things went badly really quickly. We gave Randall back, and they gave the remaining two hostages back.

Shit went from bad to worse, because as soon as Randall was freed, he attacked Michonne, who killed him with a pistol shot to the neck. The firefight broke out, and of course, this attracted some walkers... At one point, Norma was grabbed by some walkers, and I was given the choice to let her turn into into a walker or to shoot her in the head. I chose mercy and shot her in the head...

We retreated to the house as the remaining crew members attacked, flanked by walkers. The bad men threw some molotov cocktails in the house to burn it down. I rushed to the second floor to save the two young boys. Unfortunately, this was way too close to Michonne's loss of her two girls, so she went into full on hallucination. I had to choose to leave my girls or stay with them, so of course I left, but it was clearly a very emotional moment for the heroine.

In the end, most of our team was alive, and we managed to escape the walkers and Norma's crew. We went back to the boat and sailed off into the sunset. I enjoyed the story, but this was very clearly a side project for Telltale. It was very short, and not as good as the main series, but still worth playing.