September 17, 2017

F1 2017

Date played: September 16th
Platform: PS4

I felt like driving fast cars yesterday afternoon, so I played a bit of F1 2017. Having recently completed my first Grand Prix, in Australia, I was headed to the second race of the season, China. Before that though, I got an invite to a special event, where I got to drive a classic Williams car, from the late 90's. I had to use it to pass a number of other, older cars within the allotted time limit. The event was easy, but driving an older car was a great way to contrast how much these things have progressed in the last 20 years.
I drive the 1996 Williams FW18 against the older, 1988 McLaren MP4/4

In China, I managed to complete all 5 practice programs with a perfect score. China is a really fun circuit... It's got the longest straight in the entire F1 calendar, and it's got a couple of very big, sweeping turns that require speed and good throttle and brake control. Thanks to the game's fantastic training programs, it wasn't too long before I knew every corner of the track and felt ready to set a qualifying time.

I went through Q1 and Q2 without too many problems, sitting around 3rd to 5th with my lap times. However, it's in Q3 that I surprised myself with a really good fucking lap. It was maybe a little too good for my difficulty level because I got the pole position with it, which is highly unlikely for a Force India... I may have to bump up the difficulty a little bit. Still, I was really happy to get my first pole position, and I'm confident that I'll do well in this race. The circuit if favorable to my speed-focused Force India, which makes up for my car's mediocre aerodynamics and chassis.

I can't wait compete in the race!