September 2, 2017

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Date played: September 1st
Platform: Switch

I completed the first world of Kingdom Battle! Before the boss battle, I played through a few levels and encountered a new enemy type, the Smasher. These guys are fun to fight, but can be very challenging. The are large Rabbids that carry constructions blocks on their backs. They don't have a ranged attack, instead, they rush my team and use melee attacks for heavy damage. The trick is that they will attack anyone that is in range, but also, anyone that attacks them. This makes it easy to set up some big combos with Mario's and Luigi's reaction shots. Still, they hit really hard, and mistakes are costly.

Most of my time was spent battling the first boss... When I reached the end of the world, I was greeted by none other than Bowser Jr., taking over for his dad during his vacation. He talks shit for a while, then he leaves us in the hands of one of his new minions, a giant Rabbid fused with Donkey Kong!

The mash up works really well here, with some absolutely amazing animation on the boss. He looks crazy like a Rabbid, but has DK's iconic tie, the same physical shape and of course, a dangerous addiction to bananas....
Rabbid DK was very challenging

This battle was very different than what I've seen so far in the game. The battleground had a special layout that includes some grates on the ground that can be opened by stepping on them. Rabbid DK stands behind one of these, attacking periodically with a big attack that hits anyone not under full cover. Even worse, this attack has a bounce effect, pushing my party members away. When attacked, Rabbid DK would instantly grab a banana from the grate and restored his health. Even worse, he was accompanied by a bunch of smaller enemies!

To damage the boss, I had to find a way to stand on the platform right next to the grate, which would drop the bananas out of the level, leaving the giant Rabbid vulnerable to damage. This wasn't too too bad, but then I realized I would have to do this two more times... It was a very tight battle but I succeeded. Mario and Luigi died in the battle, leaving Rabbid Peach to get the final blow on the boss.

I'm really impressed with this battle, it was really fucking difficult, but not impossible, and it required more than just shooting at an enemy. I unlocked a co-op mode, some new weapons and challenge levels. These challenge levels re-use the levels from a world, but turn it into a sort of puzzle-battle. The first challenge I tried required that I defeat 14 enemies in 3 turns! While this seems like a lot, these were weak enemies, and they were all grouped up. I used a combination of all my skills to deal as much damage as quickly as possible and got it done on my second attempt.

I am ready to head into the second world now, I can't wait to see what it's all about!